Can’t sleep, and feeling sweaty? Perhaps all you need is the cool, comfortable breeze from a quiet fan. The airflow relieves some sticky bit of summer while providing a gentle and relaxing peace that can ease your mind into sleep.
If you are stuck with a loud fan this may never actually happen, with the buzzing, squeaking, and constant loud hum as it struggles to do its job. Your fan should lull you to sleep, not keep you awake all night at home or distract you when you are at work.
Take back your peace of mind by upgrading your old noisy fan with one of today’s more efficient and quiet ones, so you can concentrate at your workplace or provide some soothing white noise at home when you get ready to drift off to sleep.
Top Quiet Fans Compared
|1. Vornado 630 Medium Room Fan||52||Floor
|2. Dyson Air Multiplier AM07||61||Tower|
|3. Rowenta Turbo Silence VU551||40-57||Pedestal|
|4. Dyson Air Multiplier AM06||58||Table|
|5. Vornado 133 Compact Air Circulator||36-44||Table|
|6. Rowenta VU2531 Turbo||38-55||Table|
|7. Lasko 2551 Wind Curve||67||Tower|
|No products found.||8.||n/a||Tower|
|9. Honeywell Fresh Breeze||n/a||Tower|
|10. Ozeri 3x Tower Fan||50||Tower|
What Makes for a Quiet Fan?
- Noise Range (db) – Obviously you should be looking at the noise range produced by the fan. This is simply a decibel range for the fan on its highest and lowest speed settings to give you an idea of the amount of sound produced. Some manufacturers provide a range of decibels, while others simply provide the dB on the Max setting. While important, selecting a well designed and built fan is just as critical.
- Max Air Flow (CFM) – Many fan manufacturers provide airflow specs as cubic feet per minute or CFM for short. Also common is liters per second. All this means is the volume of air that the fan will move in one minute. While a high CFM is good for moving air, it also produces more noise. For silent fan shopping, a good balance of low dB and good CFM is key. Check out this calculator for an idea of CFM you’ll need.
- Base Size – Are you placing your fan on a piece of furniture or in a room with limited space? You need to know if the fan’s base will fit properly. Whip out your tape measure to make sure you choose a fan that fits the space perfectly.
- Speed Selections – The more speed selections on the fan, the easier it is to dial in the ideal noise level and airflow that works best for you. Every fan will be different but having many speed settings helps with sleeping and during the heat of the day.
- Bonus Features – Many newer fan designs, especially the tower style, are coming with remote controls (even Bluetooth). Being able to adjust the fan without getting up is a nice feature for the bedroom. Some fans also have built-in ionizers that basically freshen up the air by removing very small particles as the air flows through. If this feature is important to you it would be better to look for a quiet running air purifier.
Types of Quiet Fans
- Oscillating Fans – These types of fans are designed to create the maximum amount of airflow in a room by pivoting from side to side. They are extremely quiet, so you will never notice when they are on. Oscillating fans are best used in closed spaces, like in bedrooms or living room areas.
- Table Fans – Table fans are miniaturized versions of regular room fans. They have a smaller base to fit on a desk or bookshelf and with that smaller fan blades. They typically have less airflow output but operate more quietly.
- Tower Fans – This fan will give you a wide range of airflow in a small space. They are quiet, highly efficient, and take do not take up a lot of room. Tower fans are most effective in cozy areas, such as bedrooms or living rooms. Some tower fans may contain air filters that should be replaced regularly.
- Room Fans – Room fans are portable electric fans that come in a variety of shapes and sizes. They direct the air into a concentrated space. Room fans can be stationary, have an oscillation switch, or feature an up and down pivoting head. They are convenient for many types of rooms, such as dorms, bedrooms, and office spaces.
- Ceiling Fans – These electrical fans are perfect for large and small areas of your home and workspace. They save energy by bringing cool air up during the summer and circulating warm air in the winter. They run at low speeds and are quiet operating by nature (maybe except for those cheap rattling models).
- Shop Fans – Shop fans are typically more rugged blower style fans that move a lot of air. They can be used to keep areas free of dust, circulate the air in work areas, ventilate workshops, and help to dry surfaces out. We found some of the best shop fans here.
10 Best Quiet Fans
Discover the top 10 of the quietest fans on the market. Today’s fans have many unique features that can make your life a little easier. Many come with remote controls, a variety of speed options, the ability to oscillate or pivot, and even air ionizers.
1. Vornado 630 Medium Room Fan
Editor’s Choice Best Quiet Fan: The Vornado 630 is a highly rated room fan that combines unique vortex technology and deep pitch blades to deliver a strong and quiet airflow throughout any average sized room.
- Noise on High: 52 decibels
- Airflow (CFM): 331
- Size: 12″W x 8.6″D x 13.6″H
- Remote: No
Don’t call the Vornado a simple fan, but instead refer to it as an air circulator. The distinction is thanks to the unique vortex inlet design and blades with deeper cupping. The result is airflow that goes beyond brief streams of air from side to side, and instead an efficient and steady stream of air circulating around the entire room.
All Vornado 630 air circulators are assembled in the USA and have a fantastic 5-year warranty (get it?). The user reviews are consistently high, earning the 630 our #1 ranking. And if you have a very large room, the Vornado 723 has increased capacity with both short and tall stands to fit your space.
2. Dyson Air Multiplier AM07
Best Quiet Tower Fan: No little fingers or pet paws will be in danger with this super quiet fan. The Dyson Air Multiplier AM07 has no blades, which makes this fan the ultimate in quiet fan technology. It is a tower fan that produces an excellent amount of steady airflow from top to bottom, thanks to Air Multiplier technology, something other tower fans cannot achieve.
- Noise on High: 61 decibels
- Airflow (CFM): 1,059
- Size: 6″ Base x 40″ Tall
- Remote: Yes
It pulls the surrounding air from behind and pushes out cooler air at turbo speeds. The Dyson Air Multiplier is energy efficient and programmable. You will have the ability to turn off the system automatically with a length of time between 15 minutes to 9 hours. For a quiet room fan that looks amazing, the Dyson AM07 is well worth the high price.
3. Rowenta Turbo Silence
Best Quiet Oscillating Room Fan: You won’t need to rely solely on your air conditioner any longer with the Rowenta Turbo Silence pedestal fan. It has 5 blades that are specifically designed to give you a boost of air at turbo speeds. This is a room fan that sits on an adjustable pedestal that can be converted from 42 to 54 inches.
- Noise Range: 40-57 decibels
- Airflow (CFM): 1,695 (4-Speed) / 2,436 (5-Speed)
- Size: 5 blades, 16″ diameter, 42-54″ height
- Remote: Yes
With 4 or 5 speeds (depending on the model) it is great for either home or work areas. At 40-57 decibels it is a library quiet fan that comes with remote control for added convenience. Turn it on or change speeds with a push of the button. The oscillating head and low noise range make the Rowenta Turbo great for sleeping.
4. Dyson Air Multiplier AM06
Best Quiet Table Fan: The 10 inch Dyson AM06 is an excellent small sized fan that is elegant, functional, and quiet. Thanks to Air Multiplier technology, the AM06 features ten speeds on the selector yet maxes out at only 58 decibels. The AM06 is perfectly sized for a bedroom end table, bookshelf, or office desk.
- Noise Range: 58
- Airflow (CFM): 419
- Size: 5.5″ base x 10″ hoop x 19.7″ tall
- Remote: Yes
The Dyson AM06 fan is not only easy on the ears but highly functional as well. Control all the fan’s functions with the small remote, it is magnetic so you can stash it directly on the unit. The remote can change speeds, oscillation, and set the sleep timer from the comfort of your bed or Barca lounger.
The ease of maintenance of the Air Multiplier fans is highly underrated. Standard blade fans will be covered in dust and grime after a year or two of heavy use, but the Dyson can be wiped off with a clean cloth in seconds. Like all Dyson products, the device comes at a hefty price tag, but you will come to appreciate the quality and pinpoint operation it delivers with every use.
5. Vornado 133 Compact Air Circulator
Best Quiet Desk Fan: For a personal desk fan that won’t assault your coworkers’ ears all day, the Vornado 133 delivers. It delivers a respectable 283 cubic feet per minute with a max noise of only 44 decibels.
- Noise on High: 36-44 decibels
- Airflow (CFM): 283
- Size: 9.8″W x 8.1″D x 10.8″H
- Remote: No
The size is perfect to sit on the corner of a desk or bookshelf and circulate the air in your office or cubicle. While there are only two speed settings, the mini vortex design delivers a constant but unobtrusive flow for your personal space. For the price, this is really an excellent personal fan.
6. Rowenta VU2531 Turbo
Best Quiet Oscillating Table Fan: The Rowenta VU2531 Turbo features a 5-blade fan designed to emit a powerful stream of air at a low noise decibel rating. The 12-inch oscillating head circulates a cool breeze throughout the room in all four directions. Its sleek stylish design can easily be incorporated into your modern motif.
- Noise Range: 38-55 decibels
- Airflow (CFM): 1,695 (Both 4 and 5 Speed)
- Size: 5 blades, 12″ diameter, 20.5″ tall
- Remote: Yes
Take this fan wherever you need to go. The Rowenta VU2531 Turbo is small enough to transport to the office and back home again. It has manual controls on the base, plus a small remote to control the fan speed levels. Overall, the 12-inch Rowenta Turbo is one of the quietest table fans around.
7. Lasko 2551 Wind Curve
Good Cheap Quiet Fan: The Lasko 2551 Wind Curve is a smart choice for quiet fan hunters. This fan will fit seamlessly alongside your chic modern décor. It is a tower fan with cherry wood surrounding the center blades making this a fashionable selection.
- Noise on High: 67 decibels
- Size: 13″ base, 42″ tall
- Remote: Yes
- Ionizer: Yes
Quickly go from a slight breeze to a strong wind current with the multifunctional remote control. Set the timer, which can be operated for one-half to almost eight hours.
8. Lasko T48310 Xtra Air
No products found.
Enjoy a room filled with the cool comfort of a whispering breeze with the powerful Lasko Xtra Air fan that is exceptionally silent. It is 48-inches tall so that the air will flow through a large room.
This fan has a multifunctional remote control that also lights up for operating at nighttime. There are three varying speeds and the Lasko also oscillates to spread over a greater amount of space. It has an easy grip handle for careful storage and an ionizer for fresh smelling air.
9. Honeywell Fresh Breeze
Honeywell Fresh Breeze tower fan will give your entire home or office the kind of cool it deserves. Keep feeling comfortable and relaxed with the extra-quiet oscillation feature and 3-speed control settings.
It has a remote control with a flashlight, so you can change the settings in the dark. You will also be able to use the LED screen for touch controls. The Fresh Breeze fan uses a thermostat for ultimate air quality and control.
10. Ozeri 3x Tower Fan
The Ozeri 3x Tower Fan has been redesigned completely and improved on many levels. The Ozeri has a new canted blade design, improved remote range, and a new glass base design that won’t rain on your living room’s aesthetic appeal.
- Noise Range: 50 dB
- Size: 8″ base x 44″ tall
- Remote: Yes (and smartphone app)
The noise reduction technology was engineered into the blades to produce equal and opposite sound waves for an ultra-quiet fan. A physics method of noise cancellation if you will. The three independently controlled fans allow you to customize the airflow to your liking.
The 3 fan arrangement circulates air throughout any medium to large space at high efficiency while covering a large range. The Ozeri 3x comes packaged with a remote control or you can use the LED touch control panel.
Choosing Your Quiet Fan
Now you’ve seen the 10 top fans that run quietly and circulate the air effectively. It’s time to get some relief and select the right fan for your home or office, but which one is right for you?
For most homes and offices we recommend the Vornado 630 for its excellent build quality and vortex air circulation technology. It is an affordable and truly great fan with good quiet technology.
The best-looking fans are no doubt are the Dyson AM06 and AM07, if you can afford them you will love the steady streams of air and easy maintenance of the bladeless design.
*Last updated 2021-12-06 at 09:42 / Product Links & Images from Amazon Product Advertising API